Sunrise Senior Living is a chain of assisted living and nursing homes with over 300 facilities across the United States. In recent years, the company has been the subject of numerous lawsuits alleging neglect, abuse, and fraud.
One of the most high-profile lawsuits against Sunrise was filed in 2018 by a group of residents and their families at a facility in California. The lawsuit alleged that Sunrise had engaged in a “scheme to defraud” residents by falsely representing that they would be provided with adequate care. The plaintiffs claimed that Sunrise understaffed its facilities and that residents as a result suffered from malnutrition, bedsores, and other preventable injuries.
The lawsuit also alleged that Sunrise had violated California’s Elder Financial Abuse Act by charging residents for services that were never provided. In 2023, a judge granted class-action status to the lawsuit, meaning that it could potentially cover thousands of current and former Sunrise residents in California.
Another notable lawsuit against Sunrise was filed in 2022 by the family of a resident who died after mistakenly drinking dishwasher soap at a facility in Kansas. The lawsuit alleged that Sunrise staff had failed to properly secure the dishwasher soap and that they had failed to adequately supervise the resident, who had dementia.
Sunrise has denied all allegations of wrongdoing in these and other lawsuits. However, the company has settled a number of cases, including the California class-action lawsuit.
Q: What are the common allegations in lawsuits against Sunrise Senior Living?
The most common allegations in lawsuits against Sunrise Senior Living are neglect, abuse, and fraud. Specifically, plaintiffs have alleged that Sunrise:
- Understaffs its facilities
- Fails to provide adequate care to residents
- Allows residents to suffer from malnutrition, bedsores, and other preventable injuries
- Charges residents for services that are never provided
Q: Has Sunrise Senior Living settled any lawsuits?
Yes, Sunrise Senior Living has settled a number of lawsuits, including the California class-action lawsuit. However, the company has denied all allegations of wrongdoing.
Q: What can I do if I believe that my loved one has been neglected or abused at a Sunrise Senior Living facility?
If you believe that your loved one has been neglected or abused at a Sunrise Senior Living facility, you should contact a qualified elder abuse attorney. An attorney can help you assess your case and determine the best course of action.
Q: How can I protect my loved one from neglect and abuse in an assisted living facility?
There are a number of things you can do to protect your loved one from neglect and abuse in an assisted living facility, including:
- Visit your loved one regularly and pay attention to their physical and mental condition
- Ask questions about your loved one’s care and treatment
- Review your loved one’s medical records
- Talk to other residents and their families
- File a complaint with the state if you have concerns about your loved one’s care
Q: What are some other assisted living facilities in the USA?
Other assisted living facilities in the USA include:
- Five Star Senior Living
- BrightStar Senior Living
Q: What are some resources for seniors and their families?
There are a number of resources available for seniors and their families, including:
- The National Council on Aging
- The Eldercare Locator
- The Alzheimer’s Association
- The National Parkinson’s Foundation
- The American Stroke Association
Sunrise Senior Living is a large chain of assisted living and nursing homes with a history of lawsuits alleging neglect, abuse, and fraud. If you are considering placing a loved one in a Sunrise Senior Living facility, it is important to be aware of the potential risks and to take steps to protect your loved one.
- Sunrise Senior Living Facing Class Action Lawsuit Alleging a Scheme to Defraud Seniors: https://seniorjustice.com/sunrise-of-jacksonville-lawsuits-fines-and-deficiencies/
- Widow sues JoCo nursing home after husband who mistakenly drank dishwasher soap dies: https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article263095348.html
- Court approves class action status for assisted living staffing lawsuit: https://www.mcknightsseniorliving.com/home/news/court-approves-class-action-status-for-assisted-living-staffing-lawsuit/